Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More sloppy Joes- This time with pics!

When I didn't have the ingredients to make either of the two sloppy joe recipes I'm familiar with, I made these ones. They were really good! especially with the homemade buns, if you haven't tried these buns yet, you are seriously missing out!

They were very yummy, especially with these homemade buns. This is the second time I've made these buns and they were better than my first batch. Bread takes practice, don't give up your first failed or so-so attempt. Each time you learn what to do better the next time and you get better and better at it.


You may notice they are all different sizes whichis not ideal because then they don't bake evenly. I just pulled the smaller ones off when they finished baking before the bigger ones. I was just trying to get a feel for the ideal size I like.


30 minute hamburger buns
mix and let rest 15 minutes:
3.5 C warm water
3/4 C sugar or 1/2 C honey or molasses
6 TBL yeast
Then add:
1 C oil
1 TBL Salt
3 eggs
10 Cups flour, can use 1/2 whole wheat
Knead to soft dough. After 15 minute rest, shape into buns. Let rise 10 minutes and bake 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees or until lightly brown.
*recipe courtesy of Debra who got it from her mother-in-law.

4 comments:

  1. Did Meredith ever tell you that she tried to make these buns and they were not good. I wonder what she did wrong... they look wonderful on here though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a theory...too long to post. I have another friend who made them and loved them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Molly, We made these for our 4th of July bbq at my parents house and everyone loved them, so try try again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They turned out great! I did the half wheat, half white and they were yummy. I only made 8 rolls and froze the rest of the dough, so we will see how that works. We had a good dinner tonight!!

    ReplyDelete