Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sepoy Country Captain

My neighbor made this after I told her it was SPECTACULAR, and her husband said it was one of the best meals he'd ever had! Seriously this is that good! This is a dish to impress, definitely guest worthy! Thanks for the recipe Grandma!
SEPOY COUNTRY CAPTAIN
1/4C flour
1 tsp salt
1/4tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
3lbs chicken, cut up - I actually weighed the amount of chicken I used and it only came to 1.5 lbs, there was still plenty of chicken so I bet 3 lbs would be a lot of chicken
1/4C butter
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 tsp curry
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1 1b can of stewed tomatoes (I used 2 14.5oz cans)
1/3C raisins
1 can water chestnuts or chopped almonds (I used almonds and I just chopped an amount I thought was reasonable)
Hot fluffy rice (Must use Jasmine rice for maximum deliciousness)
Mango Chutney
Mix together the flour, salt, pepper and paprika;coat chicken with the mixture. Melt butter in skillet and brown chicken pieces.


Remove chicken and drain on paper towels.


Saute onions,pepper,garlic and spices for 5 minutes. Add more butter if needed.


Add stewed tomatoes and mix well, add chicken , bring to a boil.
Reduce heat,cover and simmer for 1-1.5 hrs. Add raisins and almonds or chesnuts during the last few minutes of cooking.

Serve with hot fluffy rice!
If you don't have a rice cooker, I suggest you get one! It's one of the best kitchen investments I've made!



and DO NOT FORGET THE CHUTNEY! It's the best part!
I got this at Sprouts but I know it's carried at other supermarkets but it's not available at Walmart.
The first time I bought the chutney for this, I got sliced mango chutney and I liked it better than this shredded chutney, but whatever your store has will do!

2 comments:

  1. I just bought everything to make this EXCEPT for the chutney. I couldn't find it at WinCo. I need to try somewhere else so I can make it. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my most favorite things Grandma has made for us! I think Adrienne needs to have us over for dinner when she makes it so I can have my fix!! Then I won't have to cook it because as you all know that would be too hard for me to do.

    ReplyDelete