Friday, January 8, 2010

Crash Hot Potatoes

These potatoes are better than french fries in my opinion and certainly in Darcy's! I'm pretty sure this is his favorite way to have potatoes! They are tender yet crispy and sooooo good! They require a few more steps and a little more time than other methods of making potatoes but well worth it! My mom made these first and passed the recipe along with strong recommendations, thanks mom!

Crash Hot potatoes

New potatoes (or other small round potatoes)
Olive oil
kosher salt
pepper
Rosemary (or desired herbs)
Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Add in as many whole potatoes as you wish to make and cook them until they are fork-tender. On a sheet pan, generously drizzle olive oil. Dry potatoes a bit and place tender potatoes on the sheet leaving plenty of room between each potato. With a masher, gently press down each potato until it slightly mashes, rotate potato 90 degrees and mash again. Brush tops of each crushed potato generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and fresh chopped rosemary (or chives, thyme, parsley or oregano etc.) Bake at 450 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Note: Living here in AZ, I never buy rosemary anymore because It grows all over the place here! If you don't already have some in your yard, I'm sure your neighbor has a plant or somewhere in the common areas of your neighborhood there is bound to be some. I always go to my next door neighbor and pick it out of her yard (yes mother, I ask first). I have gotten it from other places in my community but I'm a little paranoid of cat spray... So pick it from a inconspicuous-unsprayable part of the bush! ;)

3 comments:

  1. These look so good! I think we will try them tomorrow, but I have to buy the rosemary...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! I will defintiely have to try those this week sometime! OK but I didn't realize the rosemary in our yards is actually real edible rosemary. Hmm, all of ours died so that doesn't do me much good but definitely good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't made these in a while, but you got me hungry for them again. We made them last night, yummy!!

    ReplyDelete